Monday, May 23, 2011

Joplin devastation
It's going to be hard to concentrate on much of anything today except the suffering going on in Joplin, just an hour away from us. When I went to bed last night, the death toll was 24. This morning, it's 89 and sure to climb higher. I just read an article that said if it reaches 115, it will be one of the 10 worst recorded tornado death tolls in the country. Not a record anyone aspires to achieve.

Our thoughts and prayers will be with our customers, friends, and everyone in that area, a place that was forever changed in a few moments yesterday evening.

One of my best friends lives in Joplin. We taught next door to each other, and she later became my principal, then superintendent. Just as soon as I heard about the storm last night, I called to check on her. Since she lives in a subdivision west of the city, her worst problem was hail damage. We even made plans for me to drive up on Tuesday for lunch and some shopping. Obviously, that was before the extent of the damage was known. Right now, I'm sure the best thing for those of us who aren't involved in rescue or clean-up efforts is to stay away.

Once again, we are reminded how precious life is, and how quickly our world can be forever altered.

6 comments:

Shirley said...

I feel the same way today. It is hard to think of anything else.

Scrapinkats said...

It has been a terrible month for many parts of the country, I agree in the stay away part, our town Cullman also suffered awful damage and I hated to see those that are out sight seeing- but it also brings out the best in small in communities- Yes we are reminded that life is precious - we'll keep you in our prayers.

Kodi Logan said...

Well said. My heart is breaking for these people.

Anonymous said...

My thoughts and prayers go out to everyone in that area.

Lori H.

Angela L. said...

As I read your very heartfelt post, the tears started streaming down my face..... So many people have lost their lives and homes to bad weather so far this year! My heart breaks for Joplin, MO and I am saying prayers for them... This morning, typical Monday.. it started off grumpy and me being a bit fretted with my husband, then quickly it came to my mind what these people were going through right now and I was ashamed..... ashamed because instead of being grumpy, I needed to be on my knees being thankful for everyone in my life and for how I've been blessed!

Scrapbook Generation said...

It definitely makes you reconsider getting upset over life's trivia. Thanks to all of you for your comments. -- Debbie

 
SITE DESIGN BY DESIGNER BLOGS